Some days are good hair days, and some are far from. Our barbers at 18|8 Fine Men’s Salon in Brookhaven, GA understand that after your cut and style, caring for your hair outside of our barbershop is hard. Sometimes you don’t know what to do or know you should be caring for your hair differently. Our Brookhaven team is here for you with your guide to men’s hair.
You might remember from our blog about why hair gets greasy that one of the most important things is to find that balance between washing your hair too much and not washing your hair enough. Washing your hair too much can strip your hair of normal levels of sebum, causing your sebaceous glands to overproduce and making your hair even more greasy. On the other hand, not washing your hair at all will cause unwanted oil to build up and stick onto your hair. However, as always, everyone is different. We recommend washing every other day or a few times a week to test out your hair type and your grease levels.
Just as it’s important to experiment with the frequency of washing to figure out what works best for you, it’s also important to try different products to find the best ones for your hair. It’s tempting to buy cheap shampoos and conditioners, but many of these can slowly ruin your hair. Some chemicals are good for your hair, but cheap products contain chemicals like parabens (to preserve), sulfates (cause irritability), and phthalates (disrupt hormones). Even though the pricier hair products also include chemicals, they are likely tested to have as little negative effects on your hair/scalp as possible.
Styling your hair depends on its natural form (straight/curly/wavy, flat/frizzy, etc.). Some men are blessed with great hair without having to style. The rest of us need to do the same thing we did with shampoo and conditioner and test out different hair styling products until we find the right ones.
- Pomades give you a shiny look that works best on groomed or short, textured hair.
- Waxes are similar to pomades, but with a stronger hold. This is an excellent choice for short or thick hair.
- Gels also give a shiny look and tend to hold the strongest. There are different options (firm, light) depending on the hold your hair needs.
- Muds give more of a matte finish and are useful for separation for men with long hair.
- Creams are a good option to control your hair without looking like there’s anything in it.
- Hairsprays are the best choice for men with thinner hair, as they’re a quick and easy way to add volume.
Read our blog about what type of comb to use for your hair to learn more about the best styling accessories.
Visit 18|8 Brookhaven Today!
There are so many factors that go into washing and styling your specific hair. Call or book an appointment now and our Brookhaven barbers will happily help you figure out the best way to care for your hair.