How To Properly Trim Your Beard
Beard Experts In Atlanta
A well-kept beard is one of the defining physical manifestations of a dapper, modern gentleman. At 18 | 8 Brookhaven Atlanta, our men’s hair experts provide a variety of services including beard trims and shaves. While our stylists provide the highest quality haircuts and beard trims, you may want to upkeep your beard yourself from time to time. With a few tips from your Atlanta hair salon, the perfect beard trim is within reach.
Beard Trimming Preparation
One of the most important things you can do to ensure a positive beard trimming experience is to do a little research.
First, it is important to understand your hair type. Is your beard hair curly or straight? Thick or thin? Coarse or smooth? It’s essential to know your hair, so you can predict the shape and fullness of your beard when you trim it. Just because you see a celebrity with a beard you love, doesn’t mean you could achieve the same look; so much of your beard shape and style will depend on your hair type.
Beard Trimming Tools
Understanding your hair type is also important for helping you select the proper tools for your trim. Different razors and trimmers are available, and each one serves a different purpose. Do your research, experiment, and consult with your stylists at 18 | 8 Brookhaven Atlanta to make sure you have the right tool to upkeep your beard.
Trimming Your Beard
When it comes to actually beginning to shave, it can be a little daunting. Here are a few pointers for the process:
- Choose your desired beard length
- Select a guard that corresponds to your desired length
- Shave with the grain
- Try to go with your face shape, to create the look of a more chiseled jawline and cheekbone
Trimming Your Neckline
Trimming your neckline can be tricky, so it is important to have some quality instruction for this area. You could even ask your men’s salon stylist to talk through the process at your next appointment. Depending on your style, you may be interested in one of two neckline styles…
- Defined contrast between beard and neck
- To do this, place two fingers above your Adam’s apple. The top of your finger will be the point of the baseline for the beard. Trim a straight line across your neck at this point, shaving any neck hairs below the line.
- Subtle fade from beard to neck
- To create the fade look, select the 1-guard, and roughly trim about an inch from the baseline. Next, take the guard off and trim halfway into the 1-guard line to create a steadier contrast.
If you make a mistake, don’t stress. Remember, it is hair, and it will grow back. In the meantime, your stylists at 18 | 8 Brookhaven Atlanta are here to help!
Trimming Your Mustache
Managing your mustache is relatively simple.
- Select a length or style according to your hair type, face shape, and preferences.
- Relax your face, so your lips are in a natural position.
- Comb the mustache hairs down.
- Using either a pair of beard scissors or a guardless electric razor, carefully trim the hairs that protrude over your lips.
Post-Trim Beard Care
After a shave, you may notice your skin is slightly irritated. Care for your skin and beard by treating your face to quality beard and shave products. Certain aftershaves and oils can revitalize and heal your skin, as well as promoting a healthy, full beard. We offer a variety of beard and shaving products in our men’s salon. Feel free to inquire about which products would be right for you.
Visit Your Atlanta Men’s Salon
The perfect beard is within reach. With these at-home tips and the professional services at 18 | 8 Brookhaven Atlanta, your beard and hair are in good hands. For more information about our specials or our services, contact us today. You can also book an appointment online to visit our salon. We look forward to seeing you soon!