Finding the perfect haircut is a must for looking your absolute best – but haircuts aren’t one size fits all. To truly perfect your look, you have to find a haircut that compliments your facial shape and shows off your best features. So how do you do that? At 18|8 Brookhaven, we’re your comprehensive partner in style – so here’s our guide to choosing a haircut that matches your facial shape.
How to Identify Your Face Shape
So what kind of haircut is right for you? It’s not a perfect science, but most faces can be generally categorized into a number of shapes based on four measurements: the width of the forehead, the width of the cheekbones, the length of the jawline, and the length of the face. Here are the most common facial shapes:
- Oval: One of the most common and neutral shapes. Face longer than the width of the cheekbones, the forehead wider than the jaw, and a rounded jawline.
- Oblong: This is a longer shape, where the jawline, cheekbones, and forehead all have an equal length. The jaw is usually square.
- Square: This face is marked by a sharp, squared jawline with equal measurements all around.
- Heart: Forehead is the widest measurements, with thinner cheekbones and a smaller jawline. The chin is usually pointed, and the face itself looks like a heart – think Elvis.
- Diamond: The face length is the largest measurement, seconded by the cheekbones and with a shorter jawline and thinner forehead. The face is usually not angular and has soft corners.
- Round: Face length is about equal to cheekbone width, with narrower forehead and jawline. The face has soft, rounded curves.
- Triangle: This face type is widest at the cheekbones, with slightly narrower forehead and jawline. Usually a long overall face with a powerful jawline.
Choosing the Right Haircut
So now you know what type of face you have – but how do you pick the right haircut? Here’s a guide to the haircuts that fit with each facial shape:
- Oval: This is the most neutral facial shape, and it works with just about any kind of haircut.
- Oblong: This face type is already long, so having too much length on the top might exaggerate that length. Opt for shorter cuts with roughly equal lengths on the top and sides.
- Square: Short sides, and don’t be afraid to go long on top. Your goal is to avoid widening the face too much, so adding length is a good call.
- Heart: Pompadour is perfect. Add length on top and shy away from long sides – this can make the face appear too wide. Again, remember Elvis – he was famous for that pompadour because it perfectly matched his heart-shaped face.
- Diamond: Try a bedhead look. Your face can look too long if the sides are very short, so try using a textured style with more length all around.
- Round: You want to use your haircut to create angles and dimension to counteract the roundness of the face. Short sides, long top are a good starting place.
- Triangle: Big, bold, high-volume looks. You have a powerful jawline and a relatively small forehead, so your hair needs to add visual weight to the top of your head.
Schedule a Haircut with Your Brookhaven Barbershop
We hope this guide helped you pick the perfect do for your face – but if you really want to get the cut right, it’s always best to leave it to the professionals. At 18|8 Brookhaven, we’ve helped countless men from all over Atlanta find the perfect haircut and optimize their style – and we can do the same for you. Book an appointment online today. We’ll help you perfect your look and start the year in style.